2020: Year End InventoryAdd bookmark
If you are like me, you are counting the days until 2020 ends. COVID-19, lockdowns, murder hornets, travel bans, layoffs, toilet paper shortages, and hurricanes – you name it, 2020 has been a bingo card of calamities.
Yet, in spite of all of these events (which everyone hopes are not prevalent on the 2021 bingo card!), when I stop and think about it, thoughtfully and purposefully, there are so many things to be grateful for in 2020 – both on a personal and professional level.
I’d like to share some of mine:
- Family and friends – The people who are most special in our lives have been highlighted by the pandemic. And for every time we couldn’t get together in person, couldn’t hug, or share a meal and drink, there was a text, a call, or a Zoom to keep us in touch. (Yes, despite my grumpy fatigue with Zoom and video conferencing, it has been an amazing way to connect, or in some cases, reconnect, with people I care about.)
- Health – This year has been a constant reminder that good health and a viable healthcare system should never be taken for granted.
- Colorado – I never cease to be amazed by this wonderful place I call home. Natural beauty, wilderness areas, miles and miles of trails for hiking, biking, skiing. It’s not hard to socially distance here!
- New beginnings – The old adage that when one door shuts, another one opens is true. I started my own business this year, in a pandemic no less. It’s not been exactly the way I envisioned it would be due to COVID-19, but I’m embracing the challenges and loving it!
- Networks – The power of networking and collegial business relationships is fantastic! I’ve gotten support, encouragement, recommendations and constructive input, and friendship from so many people and groups. Although this isn’t the place to recognize people individually, I want to shout out a big thanks to some of the organizations and groups that have been “here for me” – SSON, World of Procurement, CPO Arena, SIG, Art of Procurement, Procurement Foundry. I can’t imagine 2020 without you!
- Mentors and Mentees – 2020 has reminded me that relationships are at the heart of our careers and professional growth. I have had both in the past and now some amazing mentors, including a few people who may not realize they have been mentoring me! And, I have the incredible good fortune to be a mentor to some dynamic and brilliant young professionals. They may not realize it, but I learn as much from them as they may from me!
Yep, when I stop and think about it, 2020 has had plenty of bright spots, and lots of things that I’d want to keep if we got a do-over for this year.
May 2021 be the new year we all hope for. May it bring:
- Wide spread availability of viable COVID-19 vaccines
- A return to in-person gatherings with friends and family
- A prudent restart to business activities and travel
- A decrease in the necessity for video conferences (please!)
- And health and success for us all!
Thanks for sharing this space with me. I’ll “see” you all in the New Year!